Monday, January 12, 2015

Divine Coincidence?

In church yesterday, about three quarters of the way through the sermon, my mind wandered for a few minutes to my younger days when I attended my father's church every Sunday. I had been in the church choir and had participated in a production of Handel's "Messiah" in the small town of Coshocton, Ohio. I also performed the special music some Sunday mornings during the worship service.

One of the songs I sang all those years ago was "My Tribute (To God Be The Glory)" by Andre Crouch. I have no idea why the song entered my head but I found myself remembering the words as I sat there and was surprised that even 38 years later (I last performed it in 1977) I still remember them all.

Eventually I snapped my attention back to the pastor and listened to the rest of the sermon.

Following the invitation at the end of the sermon the offering is collected. During the offering there is always some special music, either sung by one or more of our choir members or an instrumental piece done by one or more of our very talented musicians. (We have some very gifted pianists in the group and a young man whose talent on the guitar is remarkable.)

As I sat listening to the first few bars of the song that was to be done I was amazed to discover that it was "My Tribute." I hadn't heard the song, that I can recall, in over 30 years but here it was being performed just 10 minutes after I had been thinking about it. I quietly sang along with the soloist, wondering about the odds of such a coincidence.

As the song progressed it brought tears to my eyes. My memory of the song was from when I was 19 years old, just before I went into the Air Force. Both of my parents were still alive and my dad was still preaching, and would for another 8 years or so. I was just starting out on the amazing journey that was to be my life.

The words were so poignant for my life and where I am today:

How can I say thanks for the things You have done for me...
Things so undeserved - yet You gave to prove your love for me?
The voices of a million angels could not express my gratitude.
All that I am and ever hope to be - I owe it all to Thee.

To God be the glory
To God be the glory
To God be the glory 
For the things He has done.
With his blood He has saved me;
With His power He has raised me.
To God be the glory 
for the things He has done.


I am thankful every day for my life and the blessings I have been given. Certainly there are a few things I would go back and change if I could but my life has been full, rich and exciting and at this point I'm happier than I've ever been. I have a wonderful wife, a great family, a remarkable church, a beautiful home from where I can watch some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen, and many other blessings. And I can only thank God for them all.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. If you so desire, here is a link to "My Tribute" so you can listen for yourself. God bless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RZTYDPavEY


No comments:

Post a Comment