The protesters hold signs that say "Black Lives Matter," and "Stop Killing Our Children." And while I completely agree that black lives matter - all lives matter - the signs that say "Stop Killing Our Children" should be directed at the black community instead of the police. The truth is that 93% of all black people killed each year, including "young black males," are killed by other black people. That leaves 7% that are killed by others - to include homeowners defending their property, business owners defending their businesses, people being robbed or assaulted on the streets, and police.
Blacks make up just over 13% of America's population yet they account for over 50% of homicides nationally. And 93% of those homicides are committed by other blacks. Some will argue that the 93% number isn't that significant since 84% of whites murdered are murdered by other whites. And while that may be true - the significance is the sheer numbers. Whites make up 37% of the population - nearly three times that of blacks. Yet blacks lead the nation in homicides and murder their own at a rate higher than whites.
These aren't my numbers. They are compiled by federal authorities. My point is - if you want black children to stop being killed start with your own community.
Interestingly, very few in the media will talk about these facts and the discussion is non-existent among the outspoken black leaders. You don't hear Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Eric Holder or even President Obama talking about the huge numbers of blacks killing other blacks. President Obama is familiar with the numbers, I'm sure. He lived in Chicago where the black murder rate by other blacks is the highest in the nation. Yet the only thing he ever talks about is when a black kid gets killed by a white person.
In prepared remarks on the violence in Ferguson President Obama yesterday said "I think you'll find a lot of separate and apart from the particular circumstances in Ferguson, which I am careful not to speak to because it's... it's not my job as President to comment on ongoing investigations and specific cases."
Really, Mr. President?
I actually agree with his statement that it's not his job to comment on ongoing investigations (one of the few things he has ever said with which I agree) - that doesn't seem to stop him from commenting.
"I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that he Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home." - Barack Obama, July 22, 2009
"My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," Obama said. "All of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves." - Barack Obama, 3-23-12
"The death of Michael Brown is heartbreaking, and Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family and his community at this very difficult time. As Attorney General Holder has indicated, the Department of Justice is investigating the situation along with local officials, and they will continue to direct resources to the case as needed. I know the events of the past few days have prompted strong passions, but as details unfold, I urge everyone in Ferguson, Missouri, and across the country, to remember this young man through reflection and understanding. We should comfort each other and talk with one another in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds. Along with our prayers, that’s what Michael and his family, and our broader American community, deserve." - Barack Obama, 8-12-14
President Obama also sent three White House representatives to Michael Brown's funeral. As it turns out, the grand jury believes that Michael Brown was indeed intending to injure or kill Darren Wilson and Wilson was justified in shooting him. So the President, with my tax dollars, sent his representatives to the funeral of a potential cop killer. I'm not happy about that.
Yes, it sure is a good thing that it's not the President's job to comment or involve himself (or his representatives) in local investigations. Otherwise he'd be doing it on a regular basis. Oh, wait...