Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Great American Cooter Festival - Revisited

It's that time again. Every year in October, in the small town of Inverness, Florida, they hold an annual event known as "The Great American Cooter Festival."  It's a festival that simply celebrates the Cooter. People come from miles around to attend.
Everything there is geared toward the Cooter.  You have Cooter hats, Cooter t-shirts, Cooter art work, etc. They have food and really big glasses of lemonade. Nothing like a big glass of cold lemonade when you're surrounded by Cooters, that's for sure!  Across the street there is a red caboose sitting in a little space that has benches and picnic tables around it.  On the side of the caboose it says "Withlacoochie".  So you have Cooters Withlacoochie...
I got to go to the Cooter Festival in 2010.  I had a really good time and I got a great T-shirt that says “I got my Cooter in Inverness, Florida.”  How many people have one of those?
I visited Cooter Park on a regular basis and even took Arden there when she came to see me in Florida. Imagine - a park named after Cooters! You can observe and take pictures of Cooters in Cooter Park and it is perfectly legal. And there are many to choose from.  Surprisingly - Arden liked it a lot and took a lot of pictures.
Yeah...  the Cooter Festival is a good time.  But you can only take it for so long in one day before you get tired of cooters and have to find something else to do.  I wear my t-shirt proudly though and look forward to going back sometime.  Too bad they don't have Cooter Festivals in Texas!
Oh, by the way – a Cooter is a fresh water turtle that is native to Eastern North America and the festival is in celebration of that turtle.  I’m not sure what you were thinking….

No comments:

Post a Comment