Thursday, April 25, 2013

Old Barns and Old People... And Old Hymns


I was sent this video, "Old Barns And Old People", via e-mail from my Uncle Phil yesterday.  Not only is it a great video with a wonderful message but the background music took me back to my childhood.  The song, “The Old Rugged Cross” is one you don’t hear much these days in the modern church.  These days, at least in my church, they’ll sing an old favorite hymn and then, in the middle, start singing different lyrics that aren’t part of the original song.  I know they do it to attract younger generations to their music and to make it more interesting and I can’t really fault them for it.  But once in a while I’d like them to sing the entire song, old style, the way I remember it.

Being the son of a Baptist pastor I grew up in the church and grew up on these old hymns.  (My Uncle Phil is also a retired Baptist pastor.)  “Holy, Holy, Holy”, “Rock of Ages”, “Amazing Grace”, “Blessed Assurance”, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus”, many, many more, and of course, “The Old Rugged Cross.”  These were songs I had memorized from the time I was old enough to sing along.  It struck me this morning as I was watching the video that I was singing the words in my head as the music was playing.  After 40 plus years I still remember these old songs and can sing along to most of them without the words in front of me.  I do it at our church as well – right up until the part where they add the new and unfamiliar lyrics. 

Don’t get me wrong….  like I said – I understand why they do it and I don’t begrudge them trying to make it more interesting and attract and keep more young people in the church.  Many young people today wouldn’t appreciate the old hymns for what they are – classic Christian songs of praise.  And in my youth we didn’t have orchestras in the sanctuary to liven things up.  We had a very talented organist who sometimes played the piano as well.  That was it.  No drums, no guitars, no brass.  And we were happy with it.  We sang Easter cantatas and Christmas concerts and they were all good. 

I must say I do enjoy the music at our church.  We have some very talented musicians and talented vocalists who lead the congregation in singing during two Sunday morning services.  Some of them perform alone or with one or two others during our call to prayer and while the offering is being taken.  And occasionally they have four pianists play together and it never fails to move me.  I have yet to leave the church on a Sunday morning disappointed with the music.  Even when they insert new words into a classic hymn I enjoy it – after I get over the fact that I had to stop singing because I know longer know what they’re singing!

There’s no real point to this post except that I found it pleasantly interesting that I still remember the words to so many of the hymns from my childhood.   Once again I have discovered something from my past that made a huge and lasting impression on my life.  I’m very grateful for my Christian upbringing and for the roots I still find that connect me to it.  And, as I have recently joined a church again for the first time in many years, I’m thankful those same roots led me home.

Turn your speakers on and read along.  You won't be sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/J8Ioa1gVVeA?showinfo=0&rel=0

No comments:

Post a Comment