Friday, December 31, 2010

No More Free Money

I read this in an online column yesterday.  It was submitted by a man in Waco, Texas, about government entitlements.  It’s a little rough around the edges but the point is well made – people shouldn’t get something for nothing.  Keep in mind I didn’t write the letter nor come up with the idea.  But I like it.

“This was in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco, TX 18 Nov 2010 –

Put me in charge….

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese, and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza ..... get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get tats and piercings .... get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your home will be subject to inspections anytime, and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360 .... get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a government job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the common good.

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules. Before you say this would be demeaning and ruin their self esteem, consider that it wasn't that long ago when taking someone else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

Alfred W. Evans, Gatesville , Texas”

A bit harsh?  Maybe.  But how many more tax dollars will go to people who aren’t willing to earn it?  I have no problem helping people out who honestly cannot find a job, although some refuse to take a job that is “beneath their skill level.”  When I got out of the Air Force I worked three different part-time jobs to support my family and never once even considered taking money from the government.  These days it seems taking free money is the first choice for many people.
The administration’s infra-structure improvement program would be better served if people who are collecting free money, and are physically able, were made to work for it.  I like the suggestion about picking up trash on the roadways, painting and repairing public housing, etc.  Granted, there are many people out there who are still on unemployment and who need and want to work.  But there are also many who have been collecting money from the government without doing anything to earn it or pay it back.  Those are the ones who should be mad to work to “earn their keep” so to speak.
It’s an idea, anyway.  And it’s an idea that should be investigated by the government for implementation before any other government handouts are considered.  Of course, that’s just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Trillions have been spent on the "war on poverty" with the end result that more people are receiving government hand outs. I go to work every day to do unrewarding and under appreciated work to pay my bills (and taxes). It would be so easy to quit and sign up for government assistance but, I have my pride. I have heard that the blocks of government cheese are quite tasty but I'll never know. I buy my own cheese. As for the material things the writer refers to, I have none of that. Since I earn my own money, I refuse to waste it on foolish things.

    ReplyDelete