Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rest Well Chad Wade

I will be brief today.  My heart is heavy with sorrow for the family of a man I never had the opportunity to meet, but wish I did.  For those of you who read this, please say a quick prayer for the family of this incredible young man.  They were all touched and inspired by his presence in their lives and are all devastated by his loss.
 
Corporal Chad Wade, a loving husband, a much loved son, a Marine, an exceptional American, a patriot, and hero, will be laid to rest today, December 9, 2010, after a memorial service that begins at 11am.  I’d like to dedicate my blog to him today and tell him my thoughts.
Chad - you served your country well, far beyond what was expected or required.  As an only child and with only 9 months left on your enlistment you volunteered to return to a war zone when you didn’t have to because your fellow Marines, your buddies, had to go.  I can think of no other act that better demonstrated your honor, your selflessness, and your dedication to your friends. 
You shouldered a heavy burden to protect and defend your fellow Americans, even those who would ridicule you for it.  You did it without questioning, without hesitation.  And from what I know of you, you would do it again in a minute if asked.  You made that ultimate sacrifice to protect a country, a people, and the friends you loved. 
It has been said a veteran is someone who, at some point in his/her life, writes a check payable to “the people of the United States of America” in the amount of “up to and including my life.”  In the Bible, in the Book of John, Chapter 15, verse 13, Jesus said “Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends.”  Chad, you wrote that check to the people of America more than once.  You also wrote it to your fellow comrades-in-arms, your “other family.”  You gave them the promise of your life to protect and serve them.  You are now and always will be a hero for your unselfish gift to your country and your friends.  You more than lived up to the Marine motto of being “always faithful.”
You will be remembered Chad, throughout the lifetimes of many people.  It seems such a small thing compared to what you have done but I want to say thank you.  Thank you for your honor, your exceptional character, your selfless devotion to your country and its people, and your courage.  I salute you, Corporal Chad Wade.  It’s time for you to hand your burden off to another, like you, and rest.  There will be no more bullets fired at you, of which you were growing extremely weary.  May God accept you into his fold with open arms and reward you for a job well done.  Rest peacefully, Chad Wade.  Semper Fidelis.

1 comment:

  1. LT, I finally felt like I could read your blog dedicated to Chad. Thank you. Your words are beautiful and heartfelt and I appreciate them and you.

    ReplyDelete