Tuesday, September 17, 2013

In The Most Unexpected Ways....

Life is full of surprises and God is good all the time.  I've learned both of these lessons during my life and today received a reminder of both.

Last week, Arden and I found a great little second hand/consignment store from which we bought a sofa for our sun porch.  The two women who own it are very nice, helpful, open and friendly.  Within a few minutes of meeting them we were talking like old friends.

In the front of the store, adjacent to the cash register counter, I noticed a few paperback books.  They were all new and I correctly guessed they were written by local authors.  I didn't ask about them at the time because I didn't have any of my own books with me.  But today, since I was driving past their street anyway, I took a copy of my book with me and stopped in to see Dee and Holly.

After verifying that the books on display were by local authors, I asked Dee, who happened to be at the counter, if they might be interested in selling mine.  I handed Dee the book and she read the title.  "Oh, my God," she whispered.  She was quiet for a moment then said "I'm not even going to ask..."

"It was my son," I said.

"Let me talk to Holly," she said, and walked into their office.  I heard her tell Holly who I was and what I wanted and she came back out saying "Yes, definitely." Holly was behind her.  She said you never know about books like that selling but with Christmas coming up, people might see it as a gift they could give to someone who would understand.

I had to fill out some paperwork to sell books on consignment.  As I was doing that she asked "How old was your son?"

"Seventeen," I replied.

Quietly she said "Mine was 11."

I was taken back.  It wasn't the first time I had learned that someone I knew had also lost a child.  In fact, it's surprising how many people I've met in the last 11 years who have lost a child - some recently and some years ago.  It's not something you talk about when you meet.  But once we discover each other's burden we usually become instant friends.

"I'm so sorry, Holly. I didn't know that."

We stood there talking for about 10 minutes, sharing stories of our boys and talking about the book.  Holly said she didn't believe she would ever write a book to sell but that she wanted to write one for her family so her son would always live on for them.  I told her it was an excellent idea.

We settled on terms for the book and I asked them again if they would read it first so when someone asked about it they would be able to give them good information.  Both women agreed and said they would do that however - while we were talking, a customer who was standing by the register listening asked if she could buy the copy I had brought in!

"Do you have more?" asked Dee.

"I do at home.  I'll have to go get them."

"Well, Dominga wants to buy this one.  Here," said Dee.  "Sign this one for her and go get some more!"

With that, I sold my first book at the consignment store.  What an awesome feeling it was for someone to be just standing there listening to the conversation and then ask to buy the book!  I personalized it for her and thanked her several times.  Then I headed back home to get some more copies.

I returned a little while later with four more.  "You understand I'll be expecting these to sell just as quickly," I said to Dee when I entered the store.

She laughed and said "Well of course.  We'll do our best."

She told Holly I was back and Holly came out of the office.  She gave me a card and phone number of woman who leads a grief/recovery program at a local church.  She said they invite guest speakers in and break it down into divorce counselling, grief from deaths, etc.  She said she was sure they would be interested in hearing my story and allowing me to share with them.  I will be contacting her later today.

Holly also told me that in November they would be celebrating the first official anniversary of the opening of their store and she invited me to bring copies of my book and that she would set up a table for me for a book signing event right there in the store!  She will be inviting the other authors who sell out of her store as well.  What a great opportunity from such an unexpected source.  It's not Barnes and Noble but it's a start!

I thanked her, shook her hand and said "I have met a friend today."

"I believe God has had a hand in this store from the beginning.  The people we've met.  The great things that have happened.  I believe He brought you in here as well."

I turned to Dee and said "I consider you a friend as well."

"Thank you," she said.  "I consider you a friend too."

Holly and I talked a few more minutes, mostly about the funerals and how touching they were.  I relayed a story about Christopher's funeral but it was nothing compared to what she told me.  She said her 11 year old son was a very spiritual kid and a Christian - even though she hadn't raised him in a church.  She said during his funeral they read some things he had written and some people spoke about what an impression he had made in their lives.  She said she had no idea about it until the funeral.

In the weeks following the funeral Holly said 8 people approached her and told her they accepted Christ that very day because of the funeral service.  I have no idea what the service was like but I will ask her at another time.  The saying "Out of tragedy comes triumph" takes on an entirely new meaning in that case.

What an amazing tale she has to tell.  And I can't wait to hear it!


1 comment: