Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Happy Birthday, Christopher!

Today is my son’s birthday.  Christopher William Dunham Clark would have been 29 today.  He was taken from us that tragic day in February, eleven years ago.

His name always sounded so big when he was a little kid.  But he liked it.  As soon as he could pronounce it as a toddler he would tell you his full name when asked.  It was cute.

His mother chose his name for the most part.  I’m not sure where the name Christopher came from but William was a name of both of his grandfathers, and Dunham was a family name from his mother’s side.  I liked his name.

Even though this day carries a certain amount of pain with it, I celebrate it by remember what a wonderful son I had and what a loving and considerate person he was.  I’m so pleased that my book about him and for him is now being published, during his birth month, and I should have my copies any day.  How cool would it be if they were delivered today?

Given the constant possibility that life can change drastically in an instant, today I challenge each of you to tell your children and family members you love them.  Never pass up that chance because you never know, as Pat and I discovered, when that one time will be your last time.  It can happen to anyone.  It happened to me.


I miss you so very much, Christopher.  Happy birthday.  I wish you were here so I could do something wonderful for you but all I can do is let the world know that a great kid was born on this day in 1984.  I will see you again one day.  Until then, hug your mom for me and be happy cuz your old dad loves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment