Saturday, March 16, 2013

Question Dianne Feinstein? How Dare You!


A couple of days ago, during one of her anti-gun hearings, Dianne Feinstein got angry at freshman Senator Ted Cruz for questioning her using factual information from the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.  Senator Cruz asked her if the second amendment could be regulated to allow some guns but not all, could the first and fourth amendment also be modified according to the will of Congress.  Senator Cruz was not disrespectful, nor did he belittle Senator Feinstein in any way.  His questions were as follows:

“The question that I would pose to the senior Senator from California is:  Would she deem it consistent with the Bill of Rights for Congress to engage in the same endeavor that we are contemplating doing with the Second Amendment in the context of the First or Fourth Amendment? Namely, would she consider it constitutional for Congress to specify that the First Amendment shall apply only to the following books and shall not apply to the books that Congress has deemed outside the protection of the Bill of Rights?

“Likewise, would she think that the Fourth Amendment’s protection against searches and seizures could properly apply only to the following specified individuals and not to the individuals that Congress has deemed outside the protection of the Bill of Rights?”

Senator Feinstein took immediate offense to Cruz’s questions and made herself look petty.  Rather than answer the questions posed, she became condescending and arrogant, trying to treat Senator Cruz like a young school boy.  Because of her age and experience in politics she apparently believes she is above questioning.  It appeared that since she did not have an intelligent answer to Senator Cruz’s questions she attacked him.

“I’m not a sixth grader,” said responded. “Senator, I’ve been on this committee for 20 years. I was a mayor for nine years. I walked in, I saw people shot. I’ve looked at bodies that have been shot with these weapons. I’ve seen the bullets that implode. In Sandy Hook, youngsters were dismembered. Look, there are other weapons.”

“I’ve been up — I’m not a lawyer, but after 20 years I’ve been up close and personal to the Constitution. I have great respect for it.  This doesn’t mean weapons of war and the Heller decision clearly points out three exceptions, two of which are pertinent here.”

“And so I — you know, it’s fine you want to lecture me on the Constitution. I appreciate it.  Just know I’ve been here for a long time.  I’ve passed on a number of bills.  I’ve studied the Constitution myself. I am reasonably well educated, and I thank you for the lecture,” she added.

Feinstein later was interviewed by Wolf Blitzer and said Cruz was patronizing and arrogant toward her – something I certainly didn’t see.  I’m sure it bothered a woman of her stature to be directly questioned by a freshman Senator, even if that freshman Senator happens to be an accomplished attorney who has argued cases before the Supreme Court of the United States and knows the law very well. 

Of course, liberals think Feinstein’s answer was not only a good one but that she put Cruz in his place.  Unfortunately for them, Senator Feinstein knew she was wrong and apologized later to Cruz, saying he had gotten her dander up. 

Feinstein reminded me of John McCain and Lindsey Graham ranting about Rand Paul’s filibuster over the drone program.  McCain, another dinosaur in the Senate, chastised the freshman Senator in a statement that clearly said “You don’t have enough time here to be doing something like that, kid.  Leave that to those of us with more experience.”

I would offer this warning to some of the old dinosaurs in both houses.  There are new, young, intelligent and knowledgeable conservatives up and coming in the Republican Party.  They are not afraid or intimidated by you.  They’ve done their homework and they know how to connect with the American people.  And they were elected to turn the Republican party around and get it back on track with conservative values and principles.  So rather than criticize them, my advice would be to pay attention and join them.  Otherwise some of you dinosaurs might become extinct in Washington.  Just sayin’…

No comments:

Post a Comment