Monday, August 12, 2013

Mel Brooks Goes To Martha's Vineyard....

See… it’s things like this that keep me writing politically themed blog posts rather than something fun, like about my colonoscopy or something.  (OK – this and the fact that I only get a colonoscopy every three years…)

On Saturday, the President and his family flew up to Martha’s Vineyard for a 10 day vacation.  Now before anyone forms their own opinion, I’m not against the President of the United States taking a vacation.  I don’t want him to have a heart attack and die in office from the stress of the job.  The fact that he seems to take a vacation nearly every month concerns me a little but hey – I won’t begrudge him some time away with his family.  He is, after all, the President 24/7/365.

No, what gets to me about this trip is the family dog, Bo.  It seems Bo couldn’t fly on Air Force 1 with the rest of the family.  For some reason Bo had to have his own transportation – a new Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey – the new vertical takeoff and landing aircraft being used by the Marine Corps.  The first family flew in to Cape Cod Coast Guard Station in Air Force 1, then boarded an Osprey (designated Marine 1) from Cape Cod to Martha’s Vineyard.  Bo flew with some other support staff from Washington.  One can’t help but wonder if he received first class service…?

I understand the aircraft was not flying Bo alone but I can’t help but wonder why he isn’t allowed on Air Force 1 with the family?  I take my dog on trips with me and wouldn’t dream of putting him in a separate vehicle or aircraft.  Of course, I don’t hire someone (at $100,000 a year) to take care of my dog for me.  (I wonder if the dog handler is the designated playmate for Bo as well?)  And at a cost of $11,000 an hour, isn't an Osprey just a bit much?

While the rest of the country is being told how evil and greedy those 1 percenters are, the President and his millionaire family are vacationing at the Blue Heron Farm in Chilmark, a posh 28-acre compound that overlooks Tisbury Great Pond and the Atlantic Ocean.  The property includes a basketball court, pool, boathouse, barn and a single hole golf course.  I guess if you’re one of the 1 percenters it’s OK to chastise the rest of them even as you’re taking full advantage of your own wealth.

One of the things I’ve always disliked about President Obama is the fact that he lives an extremely lavish lifestyle even as he tells the rest of America they “may have to tighten your belts a little.”  His “do as I say not as I do” attitude displays arrogance and a lack of real concern for those Americans who are struggling with every day finances.  In contrast, former President George W. Bush used to vacation mostly on his ranch in Texas.  George H.W. Bush used to go to their property in Kennebunkport, Maine. 


President Obama regularly demonstrates the hated 1 percenter attitude he says he’s fighting against.  Every time I see the Obama's flaunting their money and/or status I can't help but think of Mel Brooks in History Of The World, Part 1...  “It’s good to be the king!”


2 comments:

  1. This stuff just irritates the hell out of me. Better not to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama is the vacationer in chef. Look at the tax dollars that would be saved if they grounded air force one.

    ReplyDelete