Thursday, February 21, 2013

"How Do You Say Good-bye" Update....


“They say you never get over the death of your child.  They’re right.  It’s been almost nine years since my son died and I still miss him every day.  It’s difficult sometimes to think about how so much time has passed since that terrible day in 2002.  Even now there are still tears from certain events that trigger strong memories. 

Losing a child is equivalent to losing a piece of yourself.  It’s a piece you feel as a physical loss, even when the tears are gone and the pain has subsided to intermittent only. 

This book is about the journey from the crushing pain of losing a child to the triumph of self-forgiveness and healing, only to be reminded of that painful loss once again in a very unexpected way. 

You really never do get over the death of a child.  You simply learn to live with it.  As unbelievable as it seems at the time, it does get easier as time goes by.  But as you’ll see, it never disappears.

This is a true story about my son, his life and his death, and how I learned to live again.  Writing it was very cathartic but very painful.  I hope I’ve done my son justice with my story.  Christopher – this is for you.”




The above text is from the back cover of my book, “How Do You Say Goodbye?  A True Story Of Overcoming The Death Of A Child.”  Yesterday, February 20th, I received the electronic proof copy of it from the publisher.  The hard copy proof is supposed to arrive in the mail next week.  In the next twenty days or so I have to review them both carefully and look for any mistakes and/or changes that might be necessary.  When I finish the review I have to send it back to them so they can make any necessary corrections and it then goes into production.  It should be available in book stores and online in early April!

As some of you already know, I wrote this book several years ago in honor of my son.  I didn’t start out to write a book.  I was simply writing down memories of him that were special to me.  After a while it just came together and the idea for an actual book became clear.  It was a labor of love.  Going back in time, re-living his childhood, and then that terrible accident that took him from us, was painful.  But the deeper I got into the story the more I knew it needed to be told.  What is so amazing to me are the details I was able to recall – even conversations.  I’d give anything never to have had to tell this story but I believe I was supposed to write this book.

Christopher was a great kid who loved life and loved his family and friends.  He was taken far too soon from this world.  It is my hope, with this book, to introduce him to those who never got the chance to meet him and to bring back some happy memories for those who knew him.  I also hope to inspire others who have suffered this same loss so they know it is survivable – regardless of how it feels initially.  

They say time heals all wounds.  Quite frankly – “they” are wrong.  Some wounds don’t heal.  But time can make them more bearable….

Thank you all for your support.  I will post more information about the book as soon as it’s available.


No comments:

Post a Comment