Michael Moore, liberal filmmaker and activist, has written an open letter to President Obama telling Obama what he should do with his next four years. Normally I would avoid Moore's left-wing drivel like the plague but the headline - "An Open Letter to President Obama - by Michael Moore" peaked my interest. I was curious what a far-left, socialist, outspoken hypocrite would have to say to the re-elected President. Turns out I wasn't surprised by any of it.
In the letter Moore initially praises Obama for winning for the great job he did in the first four years. He also makes a laughable comparison of Obama to Robert DeNiro's character in "Taxi Driver", talking about the way Obama stood up to John McCain and Lindsey Graham last week with his “If Senator McCain and Senator Graham and others want to go after somebody, they should go after me.” Apparently Mr. Moore believes President Obama is DeNiro. With thinking like that, Mr. Moore - it's a wonder your movies make any money at all.
Moore's demand list for the President contains only ten items. I'll list them as they are in the article (the link is below) and will post a summary of each rather than the entire narrative. If you want to read the entire thing (and I'm sure most of you don't) you can go to it. Here's the list:
1. DRIVE THE RICH RIGHT OFF THEIR FISCAL CLIFF. Moore believes the "fiscal cliff" is a ruse, an invention by the Right and the rich, to try and keep their huge tax breaks. He doesn't seem to understand that he, too, is one of the rich and whatever happens may very well effect him.
2. END ALL THE WARS NOW. We may actually agree on this but I'm sure it's for different reasons. Moore believes that Al Qaeda has been decimated. I guess he, like the main stream media, missed Benghazi, or still believes the video nonsense. He thinks being in Afghanistan is senseless. I, on the other hand, say we should pull out and let the Afhgannies fend for themselves because the President doesn't believe in winning a war. If that's the case we have no reason to be there.
3. END THE DRUG WAR. Moore believes the drug war is racist, pure and simple that is used by private prison corporations to make money. He suggests we find "other ways to deal with the drugs that do cause harm -- ways built around a sense of decency and compassion." It seems clear to me that Michael Moore has very little experience with drug addiction.
4. DECLARE A MORATORIUM ON HOME FORECLOSURES AND EVICTIONS. Moore blames all mortgage problems on the bank without assigning any responsibility to people who bought homes they knew they couldn't afford and the government policies (can you say Frank and Dodd) that not only allowed it but practically forced banks to give these loans. I think Mr. Moore lives in his own world where he gets to assign blame and responsibility based on his own personal feelings.
5. GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS. Again - something we can agree on. Problem is that President Obama showed his intentions of not doing that in 2008 when he agreed to use public funding only, then changed his mind when he saw how much money he was capable of raising. Even funnier - liberals and other Obama supporters justified it with statements like "You gotta do what you gotta do to get elected." Yet they criticized Romney on the amount of money he raised. Interesting how that works.
6. EXPAND OBAMACARE. With the upcoming tax increases on everyone from the middle class up, to cover Obamacare, Moore wants to expand it even more under the guise of how it will save money. What planet do these people live on?
7. RESTORE GLASS-STEAGALL. I will admit to not knowing enough about this act to comment on it. I do believe the financial industry should be regulated but by whom and how much is well out of my realm of knowledge. I won't comment on it but open it for anyone who knows.
8. REDUCE STUDENT LOAN DEBT. Having the government take over the student loan program was just one more of those policies designed to give the government more power over the people. It hasn't reduced costs. It has given the government the authority to decide who goes to school and for what. Another disaster waiting to happen.
9. FREE BRADLEY MANNING. Bradley Manning disclosed secret military information and endangered our national security. Michael Moore thinks Manning as a hero. I think if he's found guilty of treason he should be executed - maybe alongside Julian Assange...
10. ASK US TO DO SOMETHING. Moore talks about how the President turns to his followers during election years and asks them to help but then abandons them afterward. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not because I wasn't one of those people who sent the President my e-mail address and cell phone number so he could contact me and tell me what to do. I guess that made some people feel important - to get a call or a text message from someone in the Obama campaign asking for their personal assistance. Like I said - I wasn't one of them.
What I find ironic (or maybe moronic is a better word) is the fact that Michael Moore is wealthy and famous beyond his dreams yet he criticizes and wants to do away with the same capitalistic system that allowed him to gain everything he has today. He has the audacity to call himself one of the 99 percenters even as he rakes in multi-millions each time he makes a new movie. Yet people on the left overlook his lies and hypocrisy and praise him as a great human being. And like Al Gore - Moore (it even rhymes) laughs all the way to the bank. Michael Moore is a 99 percenter like I am one of the infamous "1 percenters". Both notions are ludicrous.
Mr. Moore - want to do something great for your country? Personally I think your leaving it would do the trick. If you want to live in a socialist country there are many out there that should fit your chosen ideal. Of course, you'll probably have to give up all that money you've got in the bank. Otherwise some will think you're not sincere. After all - capitalism is why you're the obnoxious, loud-mouth bore that you are. If you choose not to leave and find your socialist utopia how about just closing your mouth? That would work for me.
For those of you who really want to - here's the article with Moore's letter.