Monday, October 29, 2012

A Hero's Family...


I just watched an interview with Charles Woods, the father of former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, who was killed in the terrorist attack on our consulate in Libya - the same one that killed three others including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

I must say that I'm very impressed with Mr. Woods and his family.  Mr. Woods wants answers.  He's not pointing fingers or singling anyone out for blame.  He said he didn't vote for President Obama or John McCain in 2008 so it's not a political quest.  He simply wants to know why his son and the others couldn't get assistance from the United States - the military and/or the CIA.  He wants to know why he and others at the CIA compound were told to "stand down" when the calls for assistance came in.  Most important of all, he wants to know why those calls for assistance were denied even as the President and others were watching the attack take place in real time in the situation room at the White House.  I must say that I agree with him - I want answers too.

The Woods family, being Christians, are forgoing anger and hatred for Christian love and understanding.  They want answers, certainly, but they're not harboring hatred for those who made poor decisions, or for those  who lied about it afterward.  They just want answers.  That, in itself, makes them honorable.

I learned a couple of things tonight that impressed me completely.  First - Dick Morris, a Democrat and former member of the Clinton administration, has raised $350,000 on his website, "dickmorris.com", for the college education of Tyrone Woods, Jr., the grandson of Charles Woods.  Secondly, and more poignant, Tyrone Woods, Jr., has enlisted in the Navy because he decided to follow in his father's footsteps.  His father got the chance to ask him why he was going to do that and he responded "America needs people who will serve and protect her.  If I don't do it, who will?" 

I watched the tears of pride in Charles Woods' eyes as he told this portion of the story.  I couldn't help the ones that formed in my own eyes.  What a wonderful, touching tribute to his hero father - a man who disobeyed orders and went to help fellow Americans who were under attack and saved several others before he finally was killed.  Honor apparently runs in the family.

President Obama - I call on you to come clean and tell the truth about Libya.  Your dedicated supporters would praise you for telling the truth and the mainstream media will never abandon you.  These grieving families need answers.  And you, Mr. President, are the only one who can produce them.  Only this time - tell them the truth.  Your lies about the attack and the aftermath have destroyed your credibility.  I can't believe anyone in the military would vote for you now.  If so - they are blind.

I'll tell you this - if you come clean and tell the truth, I'll respect you.   I won't vote for you but I'll respect you.  And these days, genuine respect is something you seem to need...

No comments:

Post a Comment