Monday, March 12, 2012

Texans - vote early; vote often!!

In yet another move sure to anger conservatives, the Obama administration today blocked a new law in Texas that would require valid identification be presented to be eligible to vote. A similar law in South Carolina was blocked by the administration just months ago under the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which says certain states like Texas must seek approval from the Justice Department or the federal courts for changes made to state voting laws and boundaries for voting districts.

I realize I’m not one to speak out against the government, let alone the Obama administration, (a little blogger humor) but this just begs for dialogue and discussion. I want to be sure I have this straight. You need a valid form of identification to drive, to get on a plane, to rent a hotel room, to obtain a library card, to join the military, to buy a legal gun, to use a credit card in most stores, to buy alcohol and cigarettes if you look under age, to cash a check and to get food stamps or a welfare check (in most states, anyway.) Yet people who are going to elect the supreme leader and political representatives for our country need not have identification that proves they’re eligible to cast that vote? Something is drastically wrong with this picture!

The Justice Department says their reasoning for blocking the law is that it would hinder Hispanic voters, many of whom have no valid form of identification. Here’s another thing I need to understand. If someone is an American citizen they need identification for all of the things I mentioned above and if they drive a vehicle they are required to have an operator’s license. OK, so some of them drive without a license – it happens. But are there really large quantities of Hispanic Americans who don’t have any form of identification? Really? And where do these statistics come from?

We know the Justice Department isn’t talking about people who are in the country illegally. The Obama Administration would never allow illegal aliens to vote, right. After all, it certainly couldn’t be to President Obama’s advantage to allow illegal aliens and others without identification to vote for him, would it? Oh, wait…

Of course, there will be those who say “This has been going on for years. Did you complain about it during the 2008, 2004, or 2000 elections? Well, I can honestly say I didn’t. Number one – it wasn’t a big news story and there were no states fighting tooth and nail back then to gain control over illegal immigration. Number two – I didn’t have a blog back then to use as a forum and number three – I wasn’t a Facebook member so wasn’t getting involved in as many discussions of political topics. So no – the answer is no, I didn’t. But I would have if it had come up and if there was a discussion on it. George W. Bush pandered for the Hispanic vote. That’s one of the reasons he did nothing about illegal immigration during his two terms.

So I guess when election time rolls around I’ll be going to the polls, without any form of identification, and casting my vote for whoever I want simply because I can. It matters not if I’m registered or can legally vote, apparently, because the Obama Justice Department said so. So if you’re voting in Texas or South Carolina in November, leave your I.D. at home. Being able to prove citizenship is not necessary to elect your next President.

People of Puerto Rico – are you paying attention? You’re not currently allowed to vote for the President but that could be simply because you identify yourselves as Puerto Ricans. Leave your identification at home and you apparently can exercise that right you’ve been denied!!

No comments:

Post a Comment