Friday, December 30, 2016

If You Can't Say Something Nice....

Gonna rant for a moment...
"Comedian" DL Hughley took to Twitter yesterday to make fun of Debbie Reynolds death.
"Debbie Reynolds died a day after her daughter did! Black Mama's don't die cuz they kids do!They cry and say God don't make no mistakes!" Hughley said.
It's obvious that Hughley has no idea about the devastating pain of losing a child. If he did he wouldn't trivialize Debbie Reynolds' statement about wanting to be with Carrie. I wonder how he'd feel if he lost one of his three children and someone made fun of it?
Most of us who have lost a child didn't/don't want to die ourselves because of it. But we certainly understand the feelings. There is no pain like that of losing your child.
I have lived through many painful things in my life. I have lost beloved family and friends to death. I have watched people die while I did everything I could to keep them alive and I have watched people die with an empty feeling of knowing there was nothing I could do.
Even seasoned professionals - paramedics, doctors, nurses, firefighters, law enforcement officials - who deal with death on a regular basis, are affected by it in some way. Sure, they'll joke about it sometimes - but that's a coping mechanism rather than an attempt at humor. It keeps them from being consumed by the tragedies they see on a regular basis.
Hughley doesn't really have that excuse for what he said.
Of all of the things I've dealt with in this life the loss of my son was by far the most devastating. I cannot imagine anything else that could hurt that badly.
Mr. Hughley thinks he's funny. Perhaps sometimes he is. But this was not one of those times. Imagine if the celebrity mom and daughter had been black and a white comedian made such a comment. It would be main stream media news for a week. The only reports about it so far is that there is a "backlash against him in social media."
I actually feel sorry for Mr. Hughley. It takes a cold heart to trivialize and mock the deaths of two people the way he did.
Carrie Fisher left behind a daughter. That young lady has lost both her mother and grandmother in the last three days.
I wonder how Mr. Hughley would feel if that happened to him? My guess is he wouldn't think it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment