Friday, February 11, 2011

God, Jesus and Internet Dating

I want to start this by saying I don’t mean to offend anyone in any way. The things I write here are my own opinions and do not reflect my feelings toward any of my friends, family, or acquaintances who may disagree with me. I am fully open to the ideas and beliefs of others and I hope they feel the same way about me and my ideas.

I hate that I feel the need to put a disclaimer at the beginning of this post but I think the topic, and my thoughts about the topic, could possibly offend some people I know if I don’t reiterate that these are my ideas only and I don’t judge others who think differently than I do. I don’t even say they are wrong and I am right except in jest. I don’t want anyone to believe otherwise. Two paragraphs later, it’s time to begin on the actual subject of today’s post.

Yesterday morning I saw a commercial on television for a Christian dating website. The announcer said “If you are tired of dating the wrong people and are looking for a Christian partner, join our website and let God pick out your mate for you.” I’m sorry… wait – no I’m not - this statement strikes me as blasphemous or, at least, as close to blasphemy as you can get without actually meeting the dictionary’s definition of the word. “Join our website and let God pick your mate”?

I can’t even describe that statement as arrogant because it is so much more. First of all, many people who are Christians and in a healthy, successful relationship already believe God picked their mates for them and they never had to join a website. Secondly, and more important, is the fact that some people may actually believe this announcer’s statement. Personally, I’ve never believed that God sits around with his all powerful supercomputer and sends messages to people, looks at what websites they join and picks their mates based on the correct website.

I have no problem if people want to join a website to find a mate and I really have no problem if those people believe God is going to choose that mate for them. What I have a problem with is the statement by the website that God will do that. On what authority do they speak for God and what He will do? And how did they get Him to work for them?

Some of you may wonder about my religious/spiritual status since I’m saying these things. I believe in God and in Jesus Christ and was baptized in the Baptist church as a teenager. Although I don’t attend church these days, I still have my faith and have had it work in my life. So I’m not talking as someone who doesn’t believe God can perform miracles or have a hand in our everyday lives. That said - I don’t believe God or Jesus Christ have Facebook accounts nor that they pick mates for people if those people join the right website. When I see the commercial I don’t know whether to be irritated or simply laugh. I can’t help but wonder if some poor schmuck will get their “Christian mate chosen by God” who turns out to be an abuser or an alcoholic or just a dirt bag and then will blame God for their situation. After all, the website said “God will choose your mate for you.”

I could go on about the Facebook page called “Jesus Christ” but I think people get my point. Things created by men (humans) that claim to be of God are often simply a way to get people to pay attention to their cause. I’m not saying no one is sincere. There are plenty of good people out there who share ideas, dreams and hopes about God and Jesus and spirituality who are above board and honest. The Facebook page that calls itself “Jesus Christ” (something that just rubs me the wrong way) has many wonderful followers who do just that – share ideas and thoughts and scriptures with each other. I have no problem with the contents of the page. I just think it takes someone really bold to create a page with that name, as if they (the page creators) are Jesus Christ himself. I’ve found that the more bold the statement the less likely it is to be of God and more likely to be about money, attention or business.

I could be wrong about all of this and again, I truly hope none of my friends are offended by anything I’ve said here. I don’t judge others for their beliefs, whether they agree with mine or not. Believing as you do is your right and I fully support that right. These are my thoughts on a subject that was on my mind. I hope I’ve expressed it adequately.

1 comment: