Friday, January 28, 2011

Automatic Teller Machines And Life's Humorous Moments

Yesterday I had to go to the bank to deposit some cash. At this particular bank they have an ingenious new ATM that has done away with the need for envelopes and deposit slips. It’s actually very cool and easy. You swipe your ATM card, put in your code, touch “Deposit” then touch either “Cash” or “Checks”. The machine tells you which slot to put your deposit in (different one for each) but you simply put the cash or checks in the designated slot and the machine scans them, totals them and, in the case of the checks, will print a copy of the check(s) on your receipt if you wish. (It’s against Federal law to scan and print images of money.)

Although I’m sure there are others, this particular bank is the only one I’ve seen with this technology. I find it amazing but not surprising. It was only a matter of time.

The ATM also has audio services for people with visual impairment. I think it’s amazing that the machine’s creators, and the bank, make that service available. It’s a very modern, open minded and considerate thing for them to do. But the humorous part about it, to me anyway, is the sign on the machine that says “This machine has audio assistance for the visually impaired.” I realize the sign is for sighted people to read so they can inform a blind person of the capabilities of the machine but like the Braille keys on a drive through ATM, I just find the sign funny.

Granted, I have a very twisted sense of humor. I happily admit it. I sometimes find things funny that other people see as sad, sick or disgusting. It’s not that I am callous or uncaring, it’s just that I try to find humor in almost everything in life when I can. Laughter really is the best medicine for many things so I try to stay upbeat and look for the humor when possible.

I in no way mean any disrespect of any kind toward people who are visually impaired. I had an uncle who was blind who still ran his own business and was an integral part of the activities in the office every day. I very much admired the man and wondered how he did the things he did. And I feel the same way about anyone with the physical disability of blindness who doesn’t allow it to stop them from doing what they want to do.

Being blind is not funny. People who are blind, just like everyone else, can be funny depending on their personality and their attitude. The sign on the ATM was funny. Braille on drive up ATMs is funny. Many things are funny if you take them in the immediate context without putting too much deep thought into them.

May you all have a wonderful day full of little things that make you laugh, even if you have to do it silently so as not to offend anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment