Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Calling The Appliance Repair Help Desk....

Woke up this morning to our microwave not heating. Everything else works - just doesn't heat anything. It's under warranty so I had to call Samsung. The conversation went like this:
She: Thank you for calling Samsung. How can I help you?
Me: My microwave quit working this morning. It's under warranty.
She: I'm sorry that happened, Sir. Let's see if we can figure it out. I want to ask you a few questions. Is that alright?
Me: Sure.
She: OK. First, I'd like you to unplug the microwave.
Me: OK. Done.
She: Can you please check the power cord for any damage or frayed wires?
Me: The power cord is fine.
She: OK, Sir. Thank you. Can you please check the power cord for damage or frayed wires?
Me: The power cord doesn't have any damage.
She: OK, Sir. Thank you. Now, let's see if it's in demo mode. Can you please set the clock?
Me: OK, I set the clock.
She: OK. Now, push the Options button to option number 6.
Me: OK. I'm at option 6.
She: Can you please push the number 2?
Me: OK, done.
She: What does it say?
Me: It says "OFF"
She: OK. Please press start.
Me: OK. Done.
She: Can you please put a cup of water in the microwave and run it for 60 seconds?
Me: OK.
Sixty second interval.....
She: Did the water heat up?
Me: No. Still cold.
She: OK. It's not in the Demo mode.
Me: (Silently) Duh....
She: OK, Sir. Did you maybe use the kitchen timer by accident?
Me: (Getting a little irritated...) No, I didn't use the timer. I'm very familiar with this microwave and use the timer on a regular basis.
She: OK, Sir. I have to ask. Some people use the timer by mistake.
Me: I'm fairly intelligent. I know the difference between the two.
She: Yes, Sir. I'm sorry, Sir. I have to ask these questions to try to solve the problem.
Me: OK.
She: Now, Sir... we need to determine if the power source is the right voltage.
Me: It's been working fine for the last year.
She: OK, Sir. Is it plugged into a dedicated 120v outlet?
Me: Yes.
She: Can you plug another appliance into the outlet to make sure the outlet is working properly?
Me: I'm looking at the clock and the interior light - both working fine. I'm pretty sure the outlet is working.
She: Yes, Sir. Do you have another appliance you can plug into it to be sure?
Me: You just had me set the clock and try to heat water in the microwave. I couldn't do either if the power source wasn't working.
She: Yes, Sir. I have to ask. Do you have another appliance you can plug into the outlet to make sure it's working?
Me: I'm not going to do that. You're just going to have to take my word for it.
She: I'm sorry, Sir. We have people who call us sometimes and say their microwave isn't working and when the technician gets there he finds the outlet not working properly. In that case you would be responsible for the call and have to pay.
Me: I'm willing to take that chance.
She: OK, Sir.
Me: (A bit irritated) Why would you not ask me that first, before I set the clock and attempt to heat water? Obviously, if the clock is on and the microwave ran for 60 seconds the outlet works.
She: I sense that you're not liking the questions I'm asking but I do have to ask them.
Me: I understand that. What I don't understand is why you don't ask that one first. Asking me now if the power is working, after I've already demonstrated more than once that it is, is nonsensical.
She: I'm sorry you feel that way, Sir. This call is being recorded and they're listening to it.
Me: Good. They need to reword their script to keep people from feeling like they're being demeaned and not smart enough to know whether or not the power is on.
She: Again, I'm sorry you feel that way. But there are some people...
Me: I understand that. But I'm not one of them. I also understand that it's not you and that you have to ask the questions. But the questions should be subjective so that if I answer the question indirectly it can be omitted.
She: Yes, Sir. I understand. But I have to ask them.
Eventually the woman understood that I had done everything that could be done to correct the problem and that I needed a service technician to come out and look at it. She gave me a ticket number and said someone would contact me in 1-2 business days. In the meantime we have no microwave. But I've got fodder for a blog....!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. appliance repair ottawa

    ReplyDelete