Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Continuing "Evolution" of Same Sex Marriage

This is a humorous look at the same sex marriage issue and how it could "evolve" in the future.  


Since the President made a statement last week about how his thinking on same sex marriage has "evolved", there has been increased publicity concerning the issue.  This piece was written by someone who had a humorous insight into what the future could hold when people demand equal protection for their cause regardless of what that cause may be.


Bear in mind I did not write this but merely copied it from someone else. Ultimately the issue will be decided in our courts.


I would like to add that people who disagree with same sex marriage because of religious beliefs are not automatically bigots and haters, any more than those who favor same sex marraige are bigots and haters because they believe something else.  A person's beliefs are their own and the fact that they may not agree with the beliefs of another does not automatically mean they are wrong and that the other person is right.  It means we are all human and, at least in this country, have a right to our own opinion, even if it disagrees with that of another.


Also understand this scenario takes place in San Francisco, which makes it even more believable.  Those who have been there will understand...






At the San Francisco Marriage Counter - "Next."

"Good morning. We want to apply for a marriage license."

"Names?"

"Tim and Jim Jones."

"Jones?? Are you related?? I see a resemblance."

"Yes, we're brothers."

"Brothers?? You can't get married."

"Why not?? Aren't you giving marriage licenses to same gender couples?"

"Yes, thousands. But we haven't had any siblings. That's incest!"

"Incest?" No, we are not gay."

"Not gay?? Then why do you want to get married?"

"For the financial benefits, of course. And we do love each other. Besides, we don't have any other prospects."

"But we're issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples who've been denied equal protection under the law. If you are not gay, you can get married to a woman."

"Wait a minute. A gay man has the same right to marry a woman as I have. But just because I'm straight doesn't mean I want to marry a woman. I want to marry Jim."

"And I want to marry Tim, Are you going to discriminate against us just because we are not gay?"

"All right, all right. I'll give you your license. Next."

"Hi. We are here to get married."

"Names?"

"John Smith, Jane James, Robert Green, and June Johnson."

"Who wants to marry whom?"

"We all want to marry each other."

"But there are four of you!"

"That's right. You see, we're all bisexual. I love Jane and Robert, Jane loves me and June, June loves Robert and Jane, and Robert loves June and me. All of us getting married together is the only way that we can express our sexual preferences in a marital relationship."

"But we've only been granting licenses to gay and lesbian couples."

"So you're discriminating against bisexuals!"

"No, it's just that, well, the traditional idea of marriage is that it's just for couples."

"Since when are you standing on tradition?"

"Well, I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere."

"Who says?? There's no logical reason to limit marriage to couples.

The more the better. Besides, we demand our rights! The mayor says the constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. Give us a marriage license!"

"All right, all right. Next."

"Hello, I'd like a marriage license."

"In what names?"

"David Deets."

"And the other man?"

"That's all. I want to marry myself."

"Marry yourself?? What do you mean?"

"Well, my psychiatrist says I have a dual personality, so I want to marry the two together. Maybe I can file a joint income-tax return."

"That does it!? I quit!!? You people are making a mockery of marriage!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment