Friday, September 2, 2011

Thoughts On God...

I haven’t written much over the last few months because of things going on in my own life. The other night, however, I felt compelled to write something. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube of “The Booth Brothers”, gospel music in incredible harmony. They sang “Amazing Grace” and it gave me chills. I finished the post today.

Although I was raised in a church, I’m not a religious person. I don’t go to church anymore, at least for now. But I do believe in God and in Jesus Christ and I’m glad they are both in my life. I have friends who are Atheists, they don’t believe at all, choosing to believe in science rather than in God. And ultimately, I’m OK with that if it’s what they choose to believe. Personally, I believe science couldn’t exist without God. I know I’m supposed to witness to them and try to change their minds but in reality, I know it would be a waste of my time and I don’t believe God wants us to waste our time witnessing to people who refuse to believe.

Now, to the point of my post. The first video I watched, “If We Never Meet Again This Side Of Heaven” is about looking forward to seeing people we love again who have passed on to the next life. If you don’t believe I guess you don’t have that to look forward to. If you do believe you know you’re going to see that person again regardless of how long it takes. I think of my son that way. I believe one day I’ll see him again and that feeling is indescribable.

One friend of mine, who professes to be an Atheist, talks about holding his newborn daughter in the finite, like one day it will cease to exist. I refuse to believe that. Everything I have been taught since I was a child reminds me that life doesn’t end at death but that death is merely a transition to eternity for those who believe. I suppose if you think about it in logical, scientific terms it doesn’t make much sense. But science hasn’t exactly explained the gaps in the evolution process from amoebas to ape to man, even though they want us to believe we descended in that manner. There is no evidence to support the entire transition, only a theory. So I choose to believe the Bible. I don’t necessarily think everything happened all at once. In fact, I think evolution in some ways is supported by the Bible. In the Book of Genesis God created the heavens and the Earth, and all the creatures therein, in 6 days. So how long is a day to God? How long is a day to a being who has been around forever? If creatures and people evolved over millions of years is that “evidence” God had nothing to do with it?

Have you ever studied the human body? Is it really feasible that such an incredibly complex and intelligent creature can exist merely by a random grouping of cells? I think not.

It is my belief, and the belief of millions, or billions of other people in the world that there is a supreme being whether it is called God, Yahweh, Allah, or something else. For the purpose of this post I’m not going to get into who may be right or wrong. Those who don’t believe in a supreme being of some sort are themselves a minority in the world. That minority seems to be growing daily, which, in my opinion, is one of the reasons things are getting worse in the world. But the minority will disagree with me on that point.

The main thing I’m saying here is that I not only believe in God but also in an afterlife. I believe I will see my son and be able to hug him again when my life is through here on Earth. It doesn’t matter to me if some people think I’m crazy and/or wasting my time believing as I do. All that matters is that I believe it, as do countless others.

Those of you who don’t believe God is real – mock me if you so desire, although I don’t mock you for your beliefs so I think those of you who do this simply prove your shallowness. If I’m wrong in my beliefs, so be it. If you’re wrong – sorry for you. I’m happy and like who I am and your opinion, while respected, isn’t necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment