Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Compliance is Key

 


Just a thought...

If police pull you over, even if you know or believe you've done nothing wrong, no matter where you're from, what color you are, or what language you speak, simply comply. You may get irritated by their actions. Comply. You may feel self-righteous because you know you're right and he's wrong. Comply. You may be in a hurry and not have time for it. Comply. You may have kids in the car. Comply. The list may be long of reasons you might not think you should cooperate. Comply.

The bottom line is at the end of the day you'll likely drive away unharmed. The officer's name and badge number will be on any paperwork he gives you and if not you can get it from his station.

Here's the deal. Police are human. And while the large majority are good, honest people - there are idiots out there who get a sense of power from a badge. Some are simply looking to harass people and yes, some prey on people of color. Cooperation and compliance are one's best friends when dealing with them.

I'm 63 years old and white. And while I'm a safe and responsible driver I have been pulled over at times for mistakes. When that occurs, day or night, whether I believe I did anything wrong or not, I roll down my window and sit quietly in my vehicle with both of my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. I do nothing until the officer approaches the vehicle because I know he can't really see me or what I'm doing.

When he/she approaches I speak courteously and wait for him to tell me what to do. I don't demand to know why I was pulled over. I'll learn that in time. I don't complain about it. I simply let the officer dictate the situation. I've had no trouble and, in fact, have been let go with a warning numerous times, even if I actually did something wrong,

There are those who will say "Well, you're not black and it's different for black people." And in some cases that is true. But it's not true in all cases and anyone who says differently is lying. Countless black people have been pulled over by police without being harassed, assaulted, arrested or killed. That's just a fact. But yes, it does happen. My advice is the same. Comply. Compliance, in 99.9% of cases, will assure you're on your way without incident. And if you encounter one of those idiots, swallow your pride and be the bigger person. You'll likely still drive away. Non-compliance will surely lead to conflict and even though you will probably win the war, as the Army Lieutenant eventually will, you'll likely lose the battle as he did.

Here's the bottom line. Better to stay quiet and do what you're told than to suffer at the hands of police to prove your machismo. This applies to criminal stops as well. Many of the now infamous black suspects who died at the hands of police would likely still be alive today if they had simply complied with the officers. George Floyd probably would, although his use of substances may have made that impossible to do. Eric Garner probably would be. Daunte Wright probably would be. They all chose resistance. And for whatever the eventual cause of death was they paid the ultimate price.

No comments:

Post a Comment