Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Auto Repair... Replacing Light Bulbs. Simple Job, Right?


Yesterday I needed to replace a reverse light on my wife's 2005 Chrysler Town and Country and a brake light on my 2000 GMC Savana 1500 conversion van. Simple enough, right?

I determined that I didn't have either bulb I needed so I went to Auto Zone and purchased both. Went home and started on mine first. I discovered as I went (I hadn't done it before) that in order to remove the socket that holds the brake light in place you first must remove a part of the body (plastic trim above the light assembly) and then remove the light assembly completely because there is not enough room between the socket and the door frame to get the bulb out. Removing the body part involves removing two nuts and two Phillips screws. I didn't have the right size Phillips screwdriver to remove the screws. I used to have it – but it has disappeared.

As I was determining which way to proceed we suddenly got some much needed rain. But since I was working in the driveway the rain wasn't really welcome at that time. I put the moisture cover back on and closed up the van until the rain stopped.

Since I couldn't finish mine I decided to go into the garage and take care of the reverse light in my wife's van. The taillight assembly on that particular model is a one piece plastic unit that pops out with the removal of two rubber pins. The socket pulls out easily, as does the old bulb, and the new one goes in. Entire job finished in less than two minutes.

I drove her van back to Auto Zone to get the screwdriver and long nosed pliers that I needed. Couldn't find those either. While I was trying to get the socket out I discovered that the bulb had actually broken away from the base so I had to get the base out of the socket. I know I'm supposed to use a potato but the size of the socket and the plastic around it made that impossible.

I went back home (the rain had stopped) and pulled everything apart. I managed to get the socket out of the light assembly and get the base of the bulb out of the socket. The new bulb went in easily and I put everything back together. It wasn't a piece of cake. Things that haven't been taken apart for a long time tend to be difficult. But after an hour and a half, and two trips to Auto Zone, all of the lights on both of our vehicles are functional. Well, except for a reverse light on mine that corroded because of a bad seal on the taillight cover. Problem is, I can't find a new or used taillight cover to replace it. And until I can do that there is no use replacing the wiring harness.

Some people say we should buy new vehicles. But the ones we have are paid for, run and drive well, and we both like our vehicles. Sure, older vehicles can be a problem. But if you are pleased with it that's all that matters. And in seven more years mine will be an antique.

No comments:

Post a Comment