Thursday, March 22, 2018

Everything I Have Is Now Yours


When our pastor's first grandchild was born he told us the story of when his sons were born, everything he had in the world became theirs. But that changed with the birth of his grandchild. “When I held her for the first time,” he said, “I immediately thought 'Everything I have in the world is now yours.'”


I couldn't really relate at the time because I had no grandchildren and wasn't really expecting any. But when I now hold my granddaughter, or watch her play and listen to her jabber away trying to talk, my heart knows exactly what Dr. Marr was talking about. Everything I have is now hers. The love I have for this child is really overwhelming. She melts my heart on a daily basis.

I babysat yesterday for about five hours. She was fussy and wouldn't let me put her down without crying. I'm not sure what the problem was (probably teething) because she is normally a happy baby. But when I put her in her walker she would follow me around the living room crying and holding those little arms up to say “Grampa... please, please, please pick me up.” And when I put her on her tummy on a blanket on the floor she crawled over to my feet and began pulling herself up on my legs. Who could resist such requests for love? Or say no to that face?

I got her to play for a while, then fed her and she went to sleep in my arms. Her mama returned just five minutes after she fell asleep and I had to hand her over.

Since I had only one child of my own I don't know what it's like to love two or more. But I'm going to have granddaughter number two in May so I guess I'll find out. I can't imagine being able to love more than one child like that but given the things Dr. Marr has said about his grandchildren (a total of 5 now, I think) I already know I will. I'm so looking forward to meeting the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment