Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Was Raised

One of my friends posted this on Facebook the other day and I liked it so much I had to copy it. I don’t know who wrote it initially and I deleted the part at the end that said “If you agree, repost” because I don’t do that. If I post something I leave it up to those who read it (or view it if it’s a picture) to repost it if they so choose. I do the same thing with religious or spiritual e-mails and posts on Facebook. No matter how good the saying or the picture is, if it says something like “If you agree with this, repost it” or “If you repost this (and/or send it to 7 friends in the next 10 minutes) you will receive a blessing from God” I don’t do that either. I don’t believe God reads our Facebook pages and e-mails to see if we’re forwarding things as we’re instructed to do by the poster/sender. See http://www.accordingtoglen.blogspot.com/2011/02/god-jesus-and-internet-dating.html for more details on that subject.

Anyway, I liked the sentiment and wisdom of the below post so wanted to share it with others. You are not required to forward it or repost it and if you do I can’t tell you you’ll receive any kind of blessing from God or anyone else. But I can tell you that some others will agree with you about being raised and taught correctly. And, like many of us, they’ll wonder when that stopped happening in America. I wonder if it still goes on today?

‘I was “raised”. I didn’t just grow up. I was taught to speak when I enter a room, say please and thank you, to have respect for my elders, to get up off my lazy butt and let the elder in the room have my chair, say “Yes, Sir” and “No, Sir”, lend a helping hand to those in need, hold the door for the person behind me, say excuse me when it’s needed, and to love people for who they are not for what I can get from them. I was also taught to treat people the way I want to be treated.’

No comments:

Post a Comment