Monday, March 14, 2011

A Little Update

I haven’t posted anything on my blog for a little while. I started working a new “part time” job a week and a half ago and since then I’ve worked 8 out of 12 days. 40 hours last week and 38 this week. If this is part time I’d hate to see what full time entails…

So here’s an update. I started working in the store warehouse of a very large, well known retail chain. Eventually it will be part time but for now we’re short-handed and I’m technically still in training so they’re giving me a lot of hours. It’s not a bad gig. I told them I could work any shift, any day of the week and now they’re taking me up on it. What’s up with that??

Barrie got a new position at work. She will now be the secretary for the Camp Administrator. It’s not a promotion but it’s a day job, weekends and holidays off, her own office, and out of the penitentiary. I’m very happy about that and very proud of her for being selected. I know she’ll be great at it. And no more of those crazy hours she’s been keeping. The biggest problem now is that she’ll be home on weekends and holidays and I’ll be working most of those.

Gizmo and Nik have adjusted well to each other. Nik is so cool and laid back, nothing upsets him – not even when Giz gets into Nik’s bed. Nik just goes over and gets in Giz’s bed. Mostly though, Giz will crawl into bed with Nik and they just lay there side by side. At first Nik would look up at me with eyes that said “Please help me. Can’t you do anything about this?” But now he simply lays there and lets Giz hang out with him.

Giz has gained a few pounds since we got him. He was terribly skinny when he first came to live with us. His ribs and spine were showing. Now he’s healthy and even getting a little over weight. And Nik has become a little butterball in the last few months, even though he runs around the back yard like a crazy dog chasing squirrels. Last week a squirrel he was chasing ran through the fence and Nik tried to follow him. Big mistake. Nik got caught by the fence and cut the top of his head. I think (I hope) he learned a lesson. Both dogs will be on a diet soon.

The weather is trying to get warmer and stay warmer but it’s having a difficult time right now. Yesterday morning when we got up it was 37 degrees. By 3pm it was 80. 40+ degree temperature change in just a few hours. Well, unlike up North, at least it’s changing upward rather than downward!

We went down to St. Petersburg yesterday. We went to Treasure Island Beach, where I used to go with my family as a child. I’ve been there only twice since the early 70s but it’s always interesting to go and see this place that holds so many great childhood memories for me. We went every summer for about 10 years or so and even had friends in the neighborhood where we stayed. So many things have changed in the area but so many things are the same. I really enjoyed it. (Barrie thought I was nuts because I kept talking about different memories that she found less than exciting…)

Anyway, I apologize for not writing more but I just haven’t had as much time as before. Sucks when you go back to work. Some mornings I find myself wondering “Why was it, again, that I thought I needed a job?” But it’s all good. Life is good. I’m married to a wonderful woman. I have a job in this poor economy and I live in Florida. What could be better? OK, winning a Powerball jackpot of a couple hundred million would be good too, but I’m not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment